Monday, October 1, 2012

Herbal Shampoo




I have been making my own herbal shampoo for about three to four months now. I got my recipe off of Mountain Rose Herb's blog and really love it. I love their whole post because it isn't just one recipe. They know that each person has their own hair type, and they list herbs and essential oils and their benefits. Here is my custom recipe:

8 oz water
3 oz Liquid Castille Soap
1-2 TBSP dried organic herbs of choice (I use lavender and sunflower petals from our garden. Lavender helps with dryness and sunflower brings out blonde highlights)
20-60 drops essential oil (I normally use lavender oil as well)
1/4 tsp organic Jojoba or Olive oil (adjust as needed – use more for dry hair or may omit for oily hair. I use A LOT)


"Make an herbal infusion by pouring boiling water over the herbs, cover, and allow them to steep for at least 4 hours. Strain the herbs out and pour the reserved liquid into a bottle, then add Castille soap and oils. Your herbal shampoo is now ready to use! Always shake well before use since the contents will naturally separate."

It is really that simple! It really takes no time at all. Honestly the hardest part is to remember to steep your herbs the night before (or at least before you are about to take a shower since it takes 4+ hours). 

I have also found for my hair type that I do not need to shampoo every day. Actually only about once a week. Just rinsing with warm water and adding an oil treatment is what I need most. I love this shampoo because it has soap to clean, but also has good oils which your hair needs. I have come to find that most commercial shampoos and conditioners are built to make your hair build up a dependency for them. Going "chemical free" is not only better for your hair and the environment, but it is cheaper too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment